Department of Atomic Energy (DAE)
- The Department of Atomic Energy (DAE) was set up on August 3, 1954 under the direct charge of the Prime Minister of India through a Presidential Order.
- DAE, which is committed to peaceful uses of atomic energy, is mainly egaged in establishing production of safe, economical nuclear power, using country’s resources of uranium and thorium.
- It also extends non-electricity applications of nuclear energy in agriculture, health care and to improve quality of life.
- it builds research reactor and develops technologies related to accelerators & lasers and supports basic research in areas related to nuclear energy and other frontiers areas of science, through its well equipped multi-disciplinary R&D centers.
Atomic Energy Commission (AEC)
- The Indian Atomic Energy Commission was first set up in August 1948. Then Department of Science Research, which was created a few months earlier in June 1948.
- Subsequently, in accordance with a Government Resolution dated March 1, 1958, the Atomic Energy Commission (AEC) was established in the Department of Atomic Energy (DAE).
- The secretary to the Government of India in the Department of Atomic Energy is ex-officio Chairman of the Commission.
- The other members of the Atomic Energy Commission (AEC) appointed for each calendar year on the recommendation of the Chairman, AEC and after approval by the Prime Minister.
Bharitiya Nabhikiya Vidyut Nigam Limited (BHAVINI)
- Bharitiya Nabhikiya Vidyut Nigam Limited (BHAVINI) is a wholly owned enterprise of Government of India under the administrative control of the Department of Atomic Energy (DAE).
- Bharatiya Nabhikiya Vidyut Nigam Limited (BHAVINI) has been incorporated on 22nd October 20013 as a Public Limited company under the Companies act, 1956 with the objective of constructing and commissioning the first 500 Mega Watt Fast Breeder reactor (FBR) at Kalpakkam in Tamil Nadu and to pursue of the schemes and programmes of Government of India under the provisions of the Atomic Energy Act, 1962.