- Buddhism was founded by Gautama Buddha.
- Buddha born near Kapilavastu (Nepal) and died in Kusinagar (UP).
- Buddhism oppose worship of deities, the caste system, belief in the supernatural powers.
- It has two main sects:
- Christianity was founded by Jesus Christ, who was born in Bethlehem, near Jerusulem (Palestine).
- It is monotheistic religion.
- Baptism means celebrating an individual entrance into Christianity.
- The Bible is the holy book of Christians.
- Ultimate goal of Hinduism is to achieve Moksha.
- Sacred text of Hinduism are 4 Vedas, 18 Puranas and Ramayana, Mahabharata.
- Islam term is of Arabic origin, means submission and Muslims are those who submit to God.
- Basic tenet is to belief in one God.
- Sunni and Shia are two main sects in Islam.
- The main duties of Muslim is to perform prayers five times daily; to pay Zakat; to keep a dawn to dusk fast in the month of Ramzan; to make a pilgrimage (Haj) to Meca atleast once in a lifetime.
- Koran is the holy book of Islam.
- Jaina meaning conqueror.
- Jainism was founded by Vardhamana Mahavira who was born in Kundagrama (Bihar).
- First Tirthankara is Rishabha (mentioned in the Yajurveda) and Mahavira is 24th Tirthankara.
- Main sects are Digambaras (stark naked) and the Swetambaras (clothed in white).
- The word Sikh is derived from Sanskrit word sishya which means discipleine.
- Sikhism was founded by Guru Nanak.
- Adi Granth was compiled by 5th Guru Arjun Dev It is the sacred book of the Sikhs.
- Guru Gobind Singh, instituted baptism in water (Pahul) and made it essential to wear the 5 Ks, i.e Kesh (Hair), Kangha (Comb), Kara (Steel bracelet), Kripan (small sword) and Kachchha (short drawers).