In India there are nearly 650 islands, most of islands are located in two groups:
- Andaman and Nicobar group
- 2) Lakshadweep group
1. Andaman and Nicobar group
- Andaman and Nicobar Islands are located in the Bay of Bengal, are considered as the continuation of the Arakanyoma mountain ranges of Mynamar.
- There are 572 islands in Andaman and Nicobar group.
- Ten degree Channel separates Andaman group from Nicobar group whereas Duncan passage separates Little Andaman from South Andaman capital Port Blair is located in South Andaman.
- Middle Andaman is the largest (area wise) oceanic island of India.
- Saddle peak (737 m) is the highest peak of Andaman and Nicobar and is located in North Andaman.
- Indira Point (Pygmallion point) is the southern-most point of India territory(6.5° N), which is located in Great Nicobar.
- Barren Island of Andaman group is the only active volcano of India. Last time, it was erupted on 17th February, 2013.
2. Lakshadweep group
- Lakshadweep group is a coral island located in Arabian Sea and Kavaratti is its capital. Through Lakshadweep literally mean ‘one lakh islands’ but it is only a group of 36 small islands.
- In Lakshadweep, Most of the islands are horse shoe shaped and make up of attols (coral deposits).
- The islands north of 11°N are known as Amindivi islands while the of this latitude are called Cannanore Islands.
- Andrott island is the largest island of Lakshadweep whereas Minicoy is the second largest and southern most island of this group.
- Minicoy is separated from rest of the Lakshadweep by Nine Degree Channel whereas Lakshadweep group separated from Maldives by Eight Degree Channel.
- Presently, Lakshadweep Islands are highly affected by Coral Bleaching due to Global Warming.
3. Other Important Group of Islands in India
- Newmoore Island: It is located in Bay of Bengal on the mouth of Ganga.
- Pumban Island: It is located in Gulf of Manner between India and Sri Lanka.