Revolution of Earth:
- Revolution of Earth’s motion is in elliptical orbit around the Sun.
- Earth takes 365 days, 5 hours. 48 minutes and 45.51 seconds to complete one revolution. It leads to one extra day in every 4 years.
- The revolution of earth result in
- Changes of season
- Variation of duration of day and nights at different times of the year.
- Shifting of the wind belts.
Rotation of Earth:
- The Earth rotates on its own imaginary axis from West to East in 23 hours, 56 minutes and 40.91 seconds.
- The rotational speed at equator is maximum (1667 km/hr) and then decreases towards the poles, where it is zero. The days and the nights are equal at the equator.
- The rotation of the Earth has the following implications such as
- Causation of day and night.
- Change in the direction of winds and ocean currents.
- Rise and fall of tides everyday.
- A difference of one hour between the two meridians, which are 15° apart.