- The first ship building factory in India was established at Visakhapatnam in 1941. It was later, adopted by the Indian Government in 1952 and named as ‘Hindustan Shipyard Limited‘.
- The major ship building centers in India are located at Kolkata, Goa, Mumbai and Kochi.
- The Kochi, Dockyard was developed by collaboration with Japan. The Kochi Dockyard is the largest and the most recent dockyard of the country whereas the Mazagaon dockyard (Mumbai) builds the navel ships for Indian Navy.
- India is one of the main maritime nations of the world with 6.8 million Gross Registered Tonnage rating, with 17th position in the world.
2. Hindustan Shipyard Ltd., Visakhapatnam
The foundation stone of HSL was laid on June 22, 1941 by Dr. Rajendra Prasad. This PSU is engaged in shipbuilding and ship repairing business. Jal Usha, the first step to be constructed fully in India was built here in 1948.
3. Cochin Shipyard Ltd., Cochin
This PSU was established in 1972. It is the only shipyard in India which can build and repair ships upto 1,10,000 DWT and 1,25,000 DWT respectively.
4. Dredging Corporation of India Ltd. (MSIL), Visakhapatnam
This shipyard was established in the year 1976 to provide dredging services to the major ports of the country in India. It is a schedule B and Mini ratna Category-1 PSU..
5. Hooghly Dock and Port Engineers Ltd., Kolkata
It was established in 1819 in Private Sector and called as Hooghly Docking and Engineering Company Ltd. Subsequently, Port Engineering works was merged with it and the Hooghly Dock and Ports Engineers Ltd. was formed. It has two units located at Salkia and Nazirganj in the city of Howrah.
6. Ennore Port Ltd., Chennai
It is the 12th major port in India and the first corporatised major port of India. It was inaugurated and dedicated to the nation by the Prime Minister of India on February 1, 2001.
7. Central Inland Water Transport Corporation Ltd., Kolkata
It was established in 1967.