Religion of Harappans
- Pashupati seal has been found from Mohenjodaro in which a Yogi figure has been depicted.
- The Yogi on the seal is surrounded by buffalo, tiger, elephant, rhinoceros and deer. hence, the Yogi is said to be proto-Shiva.
- Signs of phallic worship have been found.
- Harappans worshiped Mother Goddess. It is evident from the terracotta figurine recovered from Harappa.
- A building called Great Bath have been found at meant for ritual bathing.
- They were superstitious as they wore amulets.
- Harappans worshiped pipal tree.
- No evidence of temples have been found in the civilization.
Script of Harrapans:
- The Harappans knew the art of writing. There are nearly 4,000 specimens of Harappan writing on stone seals and other objects.
- The Harappan script is not alphabetical but many pictographic.
- The Harappan script has not been deciphered so far.
- Script was considered of about 400 symbols, out of which 75 were original and remaining were their variants.
Decline of Harappan Civilization:
- There are many different views by the historians on the decline of Harappan civilization.
- According to Wheeler, Aryan attack was the main cause of Harappan civilization.
- Accordintg to G.F. Dales and Marshall, Aryans were not responsible for the decline of Harappan civilization.
- James Marshall stated that natural calamities were main cause for the decline of Harappan civilization. This statement is widely accepted for the decline of Harappan civilization.