There are various abilities and traits which an ideal manager must possess so as to accomplish the tasks of the company.
Prof. Robert Katz has bifurcated managerial skills into three sub-parts. They are as follows:
Conceptual Skills: These skills induce the person to have a vision about the organization as a whole. Conceptual skills are an amalgamation of the initiative, creative and analytical skills. Such skills help in identifying the source of cause of the problem, thus enabling the managers to solve the problem for the entire organization.
Human Relation Skills: These skills are otherwise known as interpersonal skills. It deals with the ability of the manager to effectively and efficiently work with humans. Such skills enhance communication and working with others. This skill is required at all the hierarchies of management, as management works with people.
Technical Skills: These are skills that enhance the worker in executing or performing the job. It enables the manager to use various tools and machines in order to perform the desired activity.
Apart from these skills, there are various other skills that managers at all levels must possess:
Administrative Skills: They deal with running an organization and keeping the firm organized such as experts in policy formulations, getting their work done effectively, coordinate various functions of the organization.
Leadership Skills: Managers must be able to influence people. Motivational skills are a key component of leadership skills.
Problem Solving Skills: A manager must possess these skills as the business works in a dynamic environment. This results in various hindrances during the operations. Hence, a manager must be able to solve problems by analyzing the situation and identifying the cause. Such skill requires up-to-date knowledge, intelligence and experience.
Decision-making Skills: Management requires decision making. This skill is vital for managers of all levels.
These are as follows:
- It encompasses quick decision making along with making the appropriate decisions.
- This skill determines the gain or loss for the organization.
Analytical Skills: The managers must be competent enough to collect the information and analyze it. On the basis of this analyzed information, he must be able to take effective decisions that solve the problem of the business. e.g. Data analysis, business analysis and operation analysis.
Communication Skills: This skill is required at all the managerial levels. It is as follows:
- The manager should be able to pass on, explain the policies to the lower level.
- The manager must avoid technical jargon to make the communication process smooth and effective. Such a manager must concentrate on free flow of communication.
Listening Skills: Along with communicating skills, the manager must possess listening skills. These are as follows
- It deals with the readiness of the manager to receive the message accurately and interpret the information precisely.
- If the manager lack listening skills, Then the message will be wrongly interpreted and implemented.
Time Management Skills: A manager is required to drive the organization and reach the destination in a stipulated time. Managers at all levels often utilize their time in performing various activities simultaneously such as planning, organizing, controlling, directing etc.
These are as follows:
- Time management skills include setting aims, analyzing the time required to accomplish the given task, alloting and organizing.
- Time management skills prohibit the manager and his team from wasting time on unnecessary activities.
Conflict Management Skills: A key manager is a good referee during the time of conflicts.
- Conflict management skills give solutions to the problems and build a harmonious relationship with the stakeholders.
- Managers with conflict management skills are able to lead successful organizations.