Category Archives: Geography

Indian geography and world geography articles for competitive examination

Water Transport in India

By | August 25, 2015

The Water transport provides the Cheapest source of transportation to any country. At present, there are about 14,500 km long navigable waterways in India. The length of water ways in India is maximum in Uttar Pradesh followed by West Bengal, Andhra Pradesh, Assam and Kerla. The Buckingham Canal (640 km) long is the longest navigable canal of the… Read More »

Power Projects in India – Hydroelectricity Energy, Thermal Energy and Nuclear Energy

By | August 16, 2015

Hydroelectricity Energy Hydroelectricity energy is a renewable source of energy and it is economical, non-polluting and environmental benign. India is blessed with huge water resources and there are vast possibility of producing hydro-electricity but currently it accounts 23% of the total installed capacity. So still we are very much dependent on Thermal Electricity. First hydro-electricity power plant was… Read More »

Structure of Earth’s Atmosphere

By | April 5, 2015

On the basis of the characteristics of temperature and air pressure, earth’s environmental envelop is divided into 5 layers. They are Troposphere Stratosphere Mesosphere Ionosphere and Exosphere Troposphere: Troposphere layer is the lowermost and most important layer of the atmosphere, as almost all the weather phenomena occur in this layer. Troposphere layer extends from earth surface upto 7… Read More »

Biggest Countries and Continents in the World by Area

By | March 28, 2015

Total Earth’s surface area is 148,940,000 Sq.Km. The most important place you know is about the size of an average sunspot. The total land coverage is 29.2% of Earth’s surface, the remaining surface area of 70.8% is of water. Biggest Countries (In Area): S.No Country Name Area (Sq. km) Location 1 Russia 17,075,000 Europe-Asia 2 Canada 9,976,139 North-America… Read More »

Structure of Earth’s Interior Layers

By | March 10, 2015

The layer of interior of earth is divided into three parts. Crust Mantle Core The Crust – The Outer Layer: Crust interior layer of earth is the outermost and thinner layer of the earth. This layer has the least density and its thickness varies about 0 to 100 km. Thickness of the crust is more under the continents… Read More »

Revolution and Rotation of Earth

By | March 3, 2015

Revolution of Earth: Revolution of Earth’s motion is in elliptical orbit around the Sun. Earth takes 365 days, 5 hours. 48 minutes and 45.51 seconds to complete one revolution. It leads to one extra day in every 4 years. The revolution of earth result in Changes of season Variation of duration of day and nights at different times… Read More »

Largest Deserts in the World by Area

By | February 26, 2015

Sahara, Australian Desert, Arabian desert, Gobi, Kalhari Desert, Takla Desert, Sonoran Desert, Namib Desert, Kara Desert and Thar Desert are the 10 largest deserts in the world in terms of Area. Thar desert is located in Indian state Rajasthan and some area of Thar desert is in Pakistan. S.No Desert Name Approximate Area in sq. km Location /… Read More »